Saturday, July 23, 2005

Remix

I haven’t seen any of those so-called remix versions of the old melodious songs after I saw the much publicized remix of KAANTA LAGA and found it pathetic... So I just sometimes switch and may listen to such crap for a change, but prefer to listen to some real good music. I am a fan of the Indian ocean band and am amazed how they totally did away with the media for publicity – just to emphasize the fact that they were confident of their own compositions (I guess) and didn’t have to rely on such cheap tricks. If you enjoy rock, you may also listen to the Parikrama band. But my all time favorite has always been the golden oldies – remember singers like Shamshad Begum, Noorjehan, Asha, Lata, Saigal, Manna Dey, Talat Mehmood, Mohd. Rafi, Mukesh, Kishore Kumar or the veteran composers like Burman, Naushad, Laxmikant-Pyarelal and Kalyanji-Anandji among the others that Psychohistorian mentioned at the end of his post. I guess another reason for these songs to be so enjoyable could be fact that the lyrics had some meaning attached thanks to the great lyricists like Anand Bakshi, Gulshan Bawra, Gulzaar, Javed Akhtar and Majrooh Sultanpuri. (just to name a few [:P])

Also remember that Musicians do Versions of songs... and Remixes are something that DJs do (And everyone here will agree that DJs are not Musicians !!!!!)... and so I shall accept that what they did was right in their own senses and if you expected them to give you anything more than that, then I must say it was your fault [:P].
(BTW for all the partying ppl back in India what choice do they have other then listening to remix pops in discos and pubs ?!). Though I must mention that I did enjoy Bally Sagoo (prolly the pioneer of remixes) works like the remix of 'Chura liya...'

I am also amazed that all these remix guys do, is take some popular songs, put in some semi-nude models, just put in some beats and lo-behold... we have a remixed song which everybody likes. They question the people must ask is 'Man, don't these guys have any respect for the original artists who have performed the song?' – but I guess the termed confused desi is not restricted to the American born desis anymore [:)]

On the legal side we need new laws to be passed that order record companies to obtain prior permission before releasing a remix album and to pay royalties due to the original composer and copyright holder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home